Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Novena

"The Novena to St. Jude Thaddaeus must be said six times each day for nine consecutive days, leaving nine copies in the church each day. Your prayer will be answered on or before the ninth day. It has never been known to fail!!!"

The first time I visited St. Jude was Ash Wednesday of this year. Aunt Judy had just passed away from every cancer known to man. I went to St. Jude so that I could have an excuse to text her daughter, Jenny. I wanted to somehow make her laugh. I accomplished it by sending her a picture of my ashes. You would have sworn someone put them on with their elbow. "The true church invokes you universally as the Patron Saint of things despaired of."

It seems odd to me that you were a baby in your family. You were always so much of a leader, so much of the glue. And you were so tall.  It was so easy to forget that these women you've always called "sweetheart," and made laugh like crazy, and took care of when things fell apart in their lives were your older sisters. But Judy was different for you. You leaned on her phone call after phone call while the rest of the world was sleeping. She read every page of your book and begged you for more. She somehow had earned the role of being your leaning post, while you were everyone else's.

I found myself in front of St. Jude again on your birthday this year. Sixteen days after you lost yourself so irrevocably that we lost you as well. St Jude Thaddaeus. The Patron Saint of Lost Causes. What would a man have to do to deserve the honor of sainthood and yet be remembered most for his despair? (If I were telling you this story in person, here is where I would take a hit off my imaginary joint and say "deeeeeeep.")

I went to St. Jude today. I decided to try the Novena. I'm not the best prayer; My mind jumps around despite my explicit wishes for it not to. Before I know it, I'm making grocery lists, having one-sided arguments with people, and checking my phone to see if the assholes I'm fighting with in my head have the gall to text me. And I have other concerns. Will it only work if I know exactly what I'm praying for? Because I don't. And do I have to choose just one? Because when I think about it, there are a million things I want. And not stupid things that can't happen, like you coming back to life. I mean, you were a great guy, but you were no Lazarus. I'm thinking more along the lines of being able to remember every funny memory of you, or having my kids know how awesome you were, or somehow finding out that you weren't in despair. That it's silly for me to be praying for a lost cause.

Eight days left. I'll let you know how it goes...

2 comments:

  1. I find myself praying for their audible laughter whenever I crack myself up with my life grace. (insert snarky smirk here) They both had the most infectious laughter- I can't even count the number of times I would hear my mom laughing from the other side of the house and find myself gasping for breath and clutching my belly, tears streaming down my face from joining in on the joke before I could reach the room to find out what the hell was so funny. Damn I miss that.

    I can't help but peruse every tie rack I pass whenever I'm out looking for the most egregious silken atrocity I can find. Your dad was a master of perpetuating an inside joke for so long. It always made me feel like I was special, that I mattered, and that I existed in his thoughts. Your father was one of my most favorite people, because no matter how ridiculous the tie was that I presented him with, he rocked it to his court appearances and owned it like it was classy. That effortless class, that witty confidence, dear Claire, is what makes you, you; and it brings me peace because it reminds me that your father can never be completely gone because you exist. I love you like a taxidermist loves albino squirrels. Don't you ever forget that, you douche nozzle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woman: (v. t.) To furnish with, or unite to, a woman.
    (n.) A female attendant or servant.
    (n.) An adult female person; a grown-up female person, as distinguished from a man or a child; sometimes, any female person.
    (v. t.) To act the part of a woman in; -- with indefinite it.
    (v. t.) To make effeminate or womanish.
    (n.) The female part of the human race; womankind.

    Woman: Jennifer Lynn Kelley/Claire Jordan Blakeley; Amazing, Awesome, Powerful, Articulate, Strong, Sensitive, Beautiful/ Write and write some more tell us every story from your heart keep alive the memories of who Jude and Kevin were. They will live on forever in our minds and hearts. I can hear their laughter, I can hear their wisdom... I love you both. Aunt Kat/Auntie Weez

    ReplyDelete